Do not post 'Testing my sig' posts. Or similar variants. [common sense]Screen names and Avatars
To prevent signatures being bigger than actual posts, the signature size limit is 5 lines or 300 characters. Image-signatures should not exceed 80 pixels and in combination with text 100px.
When you post a spoiler, use the spoiler-tag, unless HoW Staff specifically stated there is an exception to this rule in a certain thread. If there's an exception in the thread, it is found in the first post of said thread. To post spoiler tags:
[spoiler]Your spoilers go here.[/spoiler]Posting images
Not everyone has high-speed internet, large internet bundles or uses large screens. If you want to embed images in your post, these should not break forum tables, and be 1MB or less. If the image is larger, please link to it.Posting polls
The poll format is severely restrictive as it limits discussion, discourages similar or identical topics, and excludes members participating. For these reasons we feel that most, if not all topics, work better as traditional posts. Answer the following questions before posting a poll:
- Does your poll question work just as well in a non-poll format?
- If so, why make it a poll?
- Do your poll answer choices include all possible answers?
- If not, why limit people to just those few choices you give them?
- Is it possible that people might have more than one of these answers?
- If so, how can they choose two or more answers?
Because certain authors do not tolerate fanfiction or other projects derived from their intellectual property, such activities should be kept off this forum.
Posting EtiquetteOr: how to behave on the forums. See also the oldbies forum survival tips.
- Raymond E.Feist does NOT tolerate any fanfiction or projects derived on his intellectual property.
Some general etiquette that everyone should TRY to follow whilst posting here at Honest John's.
Offensive postsAnd how to deal with them
- Please be polite, even if you disagree. Arguments are fine, as long as they do not either consume the thread with pointless bickering, or become a personal insult.
- One word posts (such as "lol") don't contribute to discussion. We will delete one word posts.
- If you feel a topic is stupid or pointless, do not post in that topic to tell everyone how stupid you think it is. Not only is it rude, someone else may find the topic interesting.
- Please don't write with the CAPS LOCK on /with capital letters. It’s incredibly annoying to look at AND to fix.
- Don't troll and do not feed trolls.
- In case you spot a rule being broken, report this to a moderator. That will be all. Do NOT take the moderator seat and tell them off. This also goes for any ongoing flaming. Report ASAP and ignore it. The Staff will deal with it.
We'd like to give you the following guidelines in dealing with offensive posts:
If a post is reported it doesn't mean it will be (immediately) moderated. Often mods/admins ask for second opinions of other mods/admins, so the course of action is decided by multiple people. Besides public moderation (like: editing/deleting posts or posting a 'nudge' in the thread), we can privately warn and/or message members as well. So if you see nothing happening it doesn't mean nothing happens.Version history
- At all times remain calm. Reacting hostile on a hostility doesn't make you look better than the first offender.
- Report the post via the "Report to moderator" link, found at the bottom-right of each post. The moderators appointed to the forum will get a note. Please explain *why* it is offensive to you.
- Do not quote hostilities! Why duplicating something you dislike? And why give the moderators more posts to edit? They are all fellow members who come here for their entertainment. So less work for them is more time to have fun.
- v1.0 Alrin & Coeshaw (April 10, 2005)
- v1.1 Syrion (January 14, 2007)
- v2.0 Darkon & Great One (March, 2016)