I searched and didn't see a Sanderson thread.
I just finished the 2nd in the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, “The Well of Ascension”. I have to say, I am really liking these books. Very good in my opinion, a lot of fun to read and I am really looking forward to seeing how this series wraps up in the next book.
In the interest of saying more than just “I like them”, some of the things I personally really like about this series so far, and the second book in particular:
- The first book was very good and focused on some specific topics to tell a great story, the second has built and progressed upon these plot lines without rehashing the same stuff. Less like two books set in the same world, and more like 2/3 of a story. I appreciate this. I hope the third does the same.
- The characters, especially Vin and a couple of the other main characters, are complex enough to show depth, likeable, and they are growing over time. Not too much navel gazing, which is a good thing.
- The political/power and social struggles and issues are well thought out and interesting to watch evolve
- I like the juxtaposition of the personal and small scale struggles with the overarching power struggles and large scale problems the characters face
- The plot seems really well planned out and confident (for lack of a better word)
- The characters are mortal
- The action scenes are good, but are written to fit into the scale of the story and plot as it evolves, if that makes sense.
- The creatures are interesting
- The history/background and world building is well done
- The magic system (again as I said after the first book) is pretty cool, it has limits and seems well thought out
I really would recommend these to those of you who are at all on the fence about reading them, are looking for a completed trilogy to read, or would like a taste of what Sanderson’s writing can be like. I understand these books (Mistborn) are the ones that solidified Sanderson’s offer to write the end of the WOT series(?) I have not read “Elantris”, but have not heard good things about it. Anyway, good stuff. I hope anyone who reads them based on my recommendation feels the same. I’m starting “Hero of Ages” now and sincerely hope it lives up to my expectations after the first two books.
Anyone else read these books? Like? Dislike?